An interesting weekend route from St. Petersburg: Sosnovy Bor and Shepelevsky lighthouse
A couple of tens of kilometers from the Ring Road can lead to completely unusual places. The Karavaldai Peninsula in the Lomonosov District, which opens the way to the Gulf of Finland, has a lot of interesting and surprising things, and the fresh air and beaches of Sosnovy Bor are perfect for replacing resorts.
For many, Sosnovy Bor is associated with the Leningrad NPP, something dangerous and incomprehensible, where to go last. But in fact, this city, like the entire Karavaldai peninsula, is a beautiful historical place with majestic pine forests and long sandy beaches.
In 1958, a new grandiose construction site appeared on the site of a small ancient village of Ustia, which in ten years has become a large center for the study of atomic energy. Here were built Lenspetskombin Radon, a branch of the Institute of Atomic Energy named after Kurchatov, and then the nuclear power plant. Until 2013, Sosnovy Bor remained a closed city, where they were allowed only by passes, but now anyone can visit it. The only remaining restriction is the presence of a passport of the Russian Federation, which is asked at the checkpoint.
There are no ancient monuments in the city itself, since it was systematically built up in Soviet times, but still there is something to see. In addition to a lot of greenery, space and silence, Sosnovy Bor pleases with its beaches and sand dunes. The southern coast of the Gulf of Finland beyond the St. Petersburg dam has long been known for its beauty and solitude. The city beach is constantly being cleaned, and a panoramic view of the powerful Leningrad NPP will become an unusual bonus. There is a main recreation area, and there is more secluded with golden sand - Lipovsky beach. It is located five kilometers north of the city and is considered the best on the southern coast of the Gulf of Finland.
In Sosnovy Bor itself, it’s worth a glimpse into children's towns (exactly like that) - Andersengrad and Malaya Koporskaya Fortress. Both were built by Yuri Savchenko, the chief architect of the city and laureate of the State Prize of the RSFSR. He also developed the coat of arms in 1996, and now in 84 he is an honorary citizen of Sosnovy Bor. The fortress is located in an ordinary courtyard and consists of several stone turrets with a wall along which a gutter is laid. Andersengrad was built on the 175th anniversary of the birth of the great Danish writer and occupies as much as two hectares. It housed the towers of the Tin Soldier and Town Hall, the house of Ole Lukoye, the Snow White cafe, the summer theater, bridges, bastions and even the underground passage. The town looks very colorful, like a real fairytale, you can even get to some festival or celebration.
By the way, about ten years ago, the Cathedral of the Icon of the Mother of God “The Burning Cupid” appeared in Sosnovy Bor, it is made in an atypical style of experimental neo-constructivism, which is quite logical for a scientific city. In general, interesting enough for the whole day.
Direct train from the Baltic Station to Kalische station. On the way about two hours, walks daily. You can get there by car: exit from the Ring Road at Malaya Izhora, in front of the South Dam, then 40-50 kilometers of the usual road. There is also a minibus from Avtovo metro station No. 401 and from Parnas metro station No. 402, the journey takes about two to three hours.
The lighthouse in the village of Shepelevo appeared more than a century ago, it notifies passing ships of a sharp narrowing of the Gulf of Finland along the way to St. Petersburg. From here to the opposite shore is only 20 kilometers. The lantern structure of the Shepelevsky lighthouse was made in France by Barbier and Fenestr in 1910, and the tower itself is 38 meters high and made of brick. Everything was preserved in its original form, and the lighthouse continues to work tirelessly, giving two long flashes every 16 seconds. Its signal range is 17 nautical miles or 31 ordinary kilometers.
The place around the lighthouse is very calm and peaceful. Many birds, powerful bulk carriers and others smaller swim in the distance. Nearby is the radio tower, which is twice as high as the Shepelevsky lighthouse and greatly spoils the view of the photo, but the safety of the ships is above all. The area around the cape belongs to the Lebyazhy nature reserve, which has the highest variety of plants, birds and animals that can be found in the Leningrad Region. Nearly 200 species found here are listed in the Red Book.
Interestingly, the Shepelevsky lighthouse during the years of World War II began the Small Road of Life with a length of 71 kilometers. She walked here on ice through the islands of Seskar, Maly and Lavensaari.
The road leads to the lighthouse from the village of Shepelevo, it starts next to the common grave of sailors and Baltic pilots, at the end of the path there is parking for cars. By public transport you can reach both from St. Petersburg and Sosnovy Bor on minibuses No. 401 and No. 402. There is no corner stop to the lighthouse, but drivers stop at the request. Walking distance to the lighthouse is about one and a half kilometers, quite a bit (and very beautiful).
Near the village of Shepelevo is the ancient village of Gora-Valdai, where the beautiful Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity of the Life-Giving is preserved. It was designed & nbsp; in 1899 by the architect Vasily Antonovich Kosyakov. The outstanding architect built many cathedrals before the revolution in St. Petersburg, Kronstadt, Peterhof, Libava, Astrakhan and even Georgian Batumi. The church has the status of an object of cultural heritage of the peoples of the Russian Federation. The first abbot, Father Michael, was subsequently canonized as a holy martyr of Mauritius. The village itself was known back in the 16th century, then it was ruled by the Swedes and finally conquered by Peter the Great in the Northern War. The distance from Shepelevo to Gora Valdai is about four kilometers.
A little further towards St. Petersburg on the shores of the Gulf of Finland there is a powerful coastal fort of the Kronstadt fortification line “Krasnaya Gorka”. In 1919, the fortress became the site of an anti-Bolshevik uprising, the suppression of which was commanded by Stalin. The construction of fortifications took place from 1909 to 1915, and by the beginning of World War I the fort garrison was fully equipped. During the Civil War, artillery bombarded Kronstadt and the ships of the Red Baltic Fleet. During the Great Patriotic War, the fort provided fire support to the defenders of the Oranienbaum bridgehead. The coast of the Gulf of Finland is here with a cliff along which there are very beautiful views among the pines.
In 2007, military sailors decided to create a museum on the site of a powerful fort, and now everyone can walk among the old artillery pieces and fortifications. The museum is open on weekends from 11 to 19 hours, admission is free. You can get there again by minibuses No. 401 and No. 402, turn to Fort Krasnaya Gorka, then walk about two kilometers. From Shepelevo it is 15 kilometers away. If you wish, the fort can be visited with a guided tour by bus.
A fun walk for one day or even for the whole weekend. Overlooking the bay, with a concert on the roof, with bromescans near Brodsky and with an endless atmosphere of art.
Unusual spices and oils, natural snacks and eco-cosmetics you can hardly find on the shelves of the nearest supermarket. But in the Northern capital there are places where all this is sold (and at an adequate price).
In the world of running, an infinite number of starts: from several meters to thousands of kilometers, from stadiums to mountain peaks. The races unite, disconnect, change names, distances, logos and sponsors, but the World Marathon Majors has remained the most popular series of marathons for several years - the six main races of the world that came together to unite others.
Stone arches, tall narrow turrets, forged spiers on the roof, high windows, stained glass windows - all this is a mysterious and majestic Gothic style.